Monday, September 19, 2011

Le début

Hey there, my name is Sarah.  I have been playing the French Horn for almost six years.  This is the first day of our Google 20% projects.  It sounds pretty exciting.  I have chosen to learn the ukulele for my project.  Can't wait till tomorrow when I will actually get my ukulele.  I have heard about people playing these before, but I always thought it was just a really small guitar from hawaii.  Apparently I was never even saying it right.  I am really psyched to learn to play this instrument (completely different from anything else that I have ever done) and to learn more about the ukulele.  Since choosing this for my project I have looked up a few things about ukuleles.  The music is really pretty.  It does sound kind of like a guitar, I guess because it isn't bowed like a violin.  I hope I can find enough coordination for me to actually be good at the chords and play a few songs.  It will be interesting to see what kinds of songs are generally played on the ukulele.  I must also say that I am obsessed with where words come from and I will be researching the origin of this instrument.  Just in trying to find out, today, how it is pronounced I came across many good leads:  native hawaiian, portuguese, french, flying louse...  Hopefully these will all give rise to more interesting posts in the future, so that's all for now.

1 comment:

Dave Matthys said...

This sounds awesome Sarah! You're right about the Portuguese orgins and also fleas!