Sunday, October 30, 2011

Le "Tuning"

I had planned to write about this right after it happened but time sort of got away from me.  So if you could please take yourself back to several weeks ago when this post should have been made (when it was actually started and then kind of abandoned)..........................thank you!

My ability to tune is still not very good.  So today I went with my mother to the music store to get some advice.  Firstly, there are apparently two different types of tuning pegs:  geared







and  friction. 
My ukulele has friction tuners.  These are more traditional but sometimes harder to get in tune.  The guy at the music store advised me to find the position where the strings are in tune, and then turn the pegs slightly past that.  This should help because once you start playing after tuning the strings they ten to slip a little bit so that they are no longer in tune.  Tuning them very slightly sharp may prevent the strings from going flat one I start playing.  He also told us a little bit about how to check the tuning by playing chords.  Hopefully all of this will help me to cure or at least control my chronically out of tune ukulele.  You may now return to the present................

Like I said, that was a number of weeks ago.  I am definitely sure that my tuning skills have improved since then.  Not a ton but they have improved.  My ear is getting a lot better at noticing when I am not in tune, and I have been able to make the tuning a little better without completely losing the note that it is supposed to be.  Unfortunately, my c string still get out of tune a lot.  Still not sure what that's all about, I'm still trying to get more help in dealing with that little issue. 

No comments: